Eek, apologies for slacking after only 3 days of starting to write this blog. Clearly this might not end up being a daily blog, but a whenever-I-get-around-to-it blog.
I’m happy to report that I am not, however, slacking on my vegan diet.
Foods consumed over the last 3 days include:
- Overnight oats with soy milk, chia seeds, LSA (ground linseeds, sunflower seeds & almond seeds), a variety of fruits & cinnamon
- Nuts (perfect snack food)
- Fresh fruit for on-the-go (apples, grapes, mandarins)
- Hot chips fried in vegetable oil (eek, not super healthy but hey, we had friends over!)
- Baked sweet potato topped with fresh kale & spinach as well as fried mushrooms, tomatoes & onions (that was REAL good)
- Tonight we had coconut curry with chickpeas, beans, onions, capsicum, carrots, broccoli and cauliflower on rice – it was very nice but lacking something! Not quite sure what, I clearly need to expand on my palette AND spice options.
I’ve been feeling good too – minimal brain fog and generally more energetic and less lethargic. I don’t seem to have those lunchtime or afternoon “dips” anymore where I hit a bit of a low and crave ‘bad stuff’. I do not miss those dips either!
Another update: My daughter has now watched ‘The Game Changers’ documentary too which kick started this whole journey for me. She gets it which is awesome! She wants to ‘veganise’ her life in her week with me. In her week with her dad she’ll continue to eat minimal meat and likely some dairy products, but that’s okay. It’s a journey and she is only 11!
I must admit that I need to work on my recent sleeping habits, I haven’t been getting enough of that. Post tummy bug and 3 day isolation my sleeping was a bit all over the show. I need to make an effort to improve on that as I’ve been feeling rather tired!
Always something to work on, right? Speaking of which, I thought I’d show you which supplement I started using to make sure I get Vitamin B12 into my system:
It also FEELS really good to eat a plant-based diet as you know you’re putting good, nutritious food into your body! I was at a workshop today and took a salad with me although the preschool did provide lunch. I just didn’t want to put anyone out by saying that I can eat this or that.
This life style requires some planning (which I didn’t too much of to be honest) but in a pinch, stick to your basics of fruit & veg and you can’t go wrong.
I’m going to trial some vegan pancakes on Sun morning and some vegan baking this weekend – watch this space!